Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Tokyo Reflection

The story of Hiroshima reflects the horrific potential and stupidity of our species carried out in part by our races` best and brightest, while only a few hundred miles to the north sits the enormous infinite city of Tokyo proudly displaying what the same higher intellects can produce. This city can best be desribed as an ocean of Time Squares interspersed with 6 story department stores, skyscraper office buildings, Subway systems, noodle bars, Sushi spots, undergound malls, arcades, Pachinkos, and people everywhere. It is around the clock mayhem. Yet in servicing the millions of people that reside and, or, commute through this wild circus I saw no trash or trash cans, heard very few sirens, sat on some of the cleanest public toilet seats, and never waited for a subway. Not only that, but whoever is in charge of running this place has thought of everything. I went to the bathroom holding an umbrella and wearing a glove on each hand and heard my inner monologue bitch about what I would do with my gloves and umbrella. Once I arrived at the unrinal to unzip, sure enough there was a little metal rack jetting out of each urinal with a picture of a little umbrella on it signifying to my slow self about where I could rest the burdensome, yet convenient, 400 yen purchase, and a shelf for my gloves. On a different bathroom trip, a #2 one, I was freezing cold and dredded having to sit on the cold toilet seat and found that the seat was heated.

Assimiliating into this city takes time as the Japanese people navigate through it with a professional expertise, nudging one another gently to fit into the subway cars, voluntarily wearing masks to prevent the spreading of germs, bowing to one another constantly with humble gratitude while uttering Arigato Gozaimus (Thank you very much) at least thrice at every encounter, and outfitting their children in school uniforms consisting of short shorts or skirts revealing their chop-stick like legs with matching blazers, loafers, high socks, and burberry scarves to boot, and somehow these kids are never cold. Meanwhile I walk around with New Balance sneakers with a pad insert to correct my short leg, five layers including a long underwear bottom, gloves, hat, extra socks, scarf, and a hospital mask and complain consistantly of my aching feet and freezing body. Let`s see what Bangkok has in store.

1 comment:

Arthur Ehrlich said...

Nathan, given your writing skills here, if you took some film to add to your writing blog, i think you would have a great portfolio for film school