Thursday, March 6, 2008

In the Shores of Koh Tao

His time was near but I didn't want to let go. He had been my buddy for years. I know all the crap they say about the deceased always being with you because moments are eternal, or some such Hollywood feel-goodery bullshit. Right, and sex is best captured with the accompaniment of a duet between the harp and the mandolin, or heavy techno beats if you prefer the hardcore section. My reasons for wishing his survival were selfish. I didn't know how to fill the empty void this tragedy would certainly befall me. He was suffering, clinging to his final moments of vitality because he could sense the assholes like myself who wanted his survival for their own personal gain. But what was I to do? Allow another bald spot to take shape within me?

“Forget it,” I shouted with tears streaming down my face as I thought of the anguish I felt when the hairs began to thin from my head shortly before my twenty-second birthday. The truth is thatI was scared, petrified, I couldn't imagine my life without him. I had been dependent on the protection he provided for as long as I could remember. Without him surely some infectious disease in some form or another would come creeping around and penetrate this hole, this gaping wound that was imminently approaching. However, after wandering the big cities and smaller towns of Japan, strolling through remote villages in Northern Thailand, being pushed around and ripped off in Bangkok, and finally arriving at a gorgeous private beach of the mountainous rugged island of Koh Tao, a strange calm befell me, and I found myself ready and willing to say goodbye to this companion whose short life I have, and will, always cherish. And no sooner had this profound self-evolution and growth taken route deep within the confines of my soul, did I agree to assist my beloved companion in his expiration. In one motion I twisted and removed the disgusting, yellow, and hideously decaying toe nail from my right big toe, and buried it in the sand. From now until eternity he will be with us always, in the shores of Koh Tao.


No comments: